Wednesday, January 12, 2011

NaTya Shastrada : Satvika Bhava

Eight satvika bhavas are listed:

stambha svedotha rOmAncha svarabhedOtha vEpathuH |
vaivarNyamshrupralaya ityashtau satvikAh smrutAh ||

1) stambha (ascharya, surprise or shock)
2) swedha (sweating)
3) rOmanchana (excited state)
4) svarabheda (distortion of speech)
5) vEpathu (tremble)
6) vaivarNya (paleness, change in color of complexion)
7) ashru (tearsome)
8) pralaya (loss of senses)

Interestingly, through the Bhagawad Gita Arjuna demonstrates all these Bhavas.

1.28: sidanti mama gatrani (Bhava 8) mukham ca parisusyati (6) ... I feel the limbs of my body quivering and my mouth drying up.

1.29: vepathus (tremble; 5) ca sarire me roma-harsas (excited; 3) ca jayate gandivam sramsate hastat (sweating; 2) tvak caiva paridahyate (6)

1.30 na ca saknomy avasthatum (loss of senses; 8) bhramativa ca me manah (8)

1.46 soka-samvigna-manasah ... his mind overwhelmed with grief.

2.1 asru-purnakuleksanam (7) ... Seeing Arjuna full of compassion and very sorrowful, his eyes brimming with tears

2.8 yac chokam ucchosanam indriyanam (8) ... I can find no means to drive away this grief which is drying up my senses.

11.14 tatah sa vismayavisto (1) hrsta-roma dhananjayah (3) .. Then, bewildered and astonished, his hair standing on end

No comments:

Post a Comment